Monday, September 18, 2006

Just a Few Observations

In the course of a week I pass by a lot of people. If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say I don't pay any particular attention to upwards of 75% of the people around me. The other 25% catch my attention for different reasons. I hardly ever pass by a cute guy without giving at least a sideways glance. Sometimes I'll see a particularly lovely woman and give her a good looking up and down.

Then there's that other 10% whom I must resist walking up to and offering a bit of advice. I resist because, frankly, it's just rude to approach perfect strangers and critique them. God knows I wouldn't want others to come up to me and offer me pointers on my hair or wardrobe on the occasional day when I'm not quite up to my best.

But some things are just too egregious not to elicit comment. These are the best gems.

1. A toupee is rarely a good idea. A mullet is rarely a good idea. A mullet toupee? You do the math.
(Seen on a UofC facilities worker.)

2. Capri pants are a bad idea for about 65% of women and, really, 100% of men. Why any man would purposely roll up the hems of his jeans to make them into ersatz denim capri pants I will never understand, even if he does have nice calves.
(Seen on a cute-ish guy with nice calves on the #55 bus.)

3. Ripped jeans are in. Tight jeans are in. Tight jeans with rips along the panty line are not in, nor should they ever be.
(Seen on a girl crossing the street in front of me outside my building.)

No comments: