Thursday, January 12, 2006

Isolde Has Left the Stage

In case you missed the New York Times obits page today, let me be the first to tell you that Birgit Nilsson has died at the ripe old age of 87. Truly opera has lost one of its brightest stars, and certainly no one living today can sing Wagner like she can. It may be another generation before such a chanteuse again graces the stage.

Her obit portrays her as an independent and strong woman. According to the Times La Nilsson largely managed her own career, and did not resort to tantrums during negotiations. She also gives no credit to her voice teachers, insisting that if anything they hurt her voice. (Fortunately, I have no such complaints about my voice teachers, who have done nothing but help my voice.)

La Nilsson had a lovely quote from a nine-year-old interview with the Times:

"I've always tried to remember what my mother used to tell me. Stay close to the earth. Then when you fall down, it won't hurt so much."

God be with you, La Nilsson.

No comments: