Saturday, July 22, 2006

Mulan

I had problems with my UPS (not the package delivery service, rather the device which assures continuous, uninterrupted power to my computer) which required me to unplug all non-essential peripherals. Sadly, this list included my wireless router. Because surge-protected outlets provide less protection than battery-backup outlets, I tried to avoid using my desktop for extended periods of time, such as would be required for blog entries.

I've had a lot I've wanted to write about, since there have been such nasty things going on in the world. Given that I have only limited time right now -- specifically, 10 minutes while I'm waiting for a centrifuge to spin down a DNA pellet -- I'm going to skip all the important stuff and give a brief shout-out to a new bistro in my 'hood.

The BF and I went to Mulan last week. Located on the upper level of the East Gate, part of the Chinatown Square shopping complex, Mulan is a swanky Asian/French fusion restaurant that focuses on reinventing and uplifting the concept of "surf and turf." All of their dishes pair a land animal or waterfowl with a complementary seafood, in most cases shellfish.

The BF and I started our meal with a cup of the tomato and Kobe beef broth soup that contained mushrooms and circular pieces of whitefish. It was flavorful, though a bit acidic for my taste. This was followed by grilled elk with lightly fried, delicately breaded scallops and deep-fried lotus root with a carrot-miso sauce. I thought the elk was flavorful, though the meat was a bit tougher than I would like. This may be particular to the animal; my only other experience with game meat was a delicious, tender venison I had at Erwin - An American Cafe in Lakeview a few weeks ago. The elk paired well with the sweet scallops, and the carrot-miso sauce was fresh but not overpowering. The BF had lamb chops served with a shrimp bun. The chops were tasty and prepared medium per his specification. We finished our meal by splitting a piece of flourless chocolate cake which was tasty but not especially noteworthy.

In a nutshell, the entrees were fantastic; the soup okay and the dessert good but not great. The service was attentive and knowledgeable. Entrees ranged from $19 to about $32. Mulan is BYOB; I don't know if they charge a corkage fee or not.

The next time you find yourself in Chinatown or the South Loop and you're looking for something a little different to try, I highly encourage you to check out Mulan!

No comments: