Saturday, August 26, 2006

So Shoe Me


new_shoes
Originally uploaded by ho73classic@sbcglobal.net.
As of Friday morning, I was 1/2 a pound under my intermittent goal weight. This meant I had to do something to reward myself that was completely non-food related. (It's self-defeating to reward progress on a diet with food.)

I had thought of, and dismissed, several ideas for my treat over the months I've been working towards this goal. So I was a bit disappointed that, having met this goal, I didn't have anything in mind to celebrate this milestone.

As I was getting ready yesterday morning, selecting the appropriate ensemble best to complement my new (properly fitting) jeans, I realized that I didn't have any shoes that went well with them.

What an epiphany!

It became my mission last night to buy some cute, dress up/dress down black slides. And I even knew where I wanted to buy them: Nordstrom.

I also decided to be a satisficer, not a maximizer for this purchase. I set a price point in my head, decided on a basic style, and determined that I would buy the first pair that met my criteria.

I went to one other store first, just because I like doing business at that store and wanted to give them an opportunity to make me a sale. They had nothing that I really liked that wasn't well out of my price range, so I strolled down Michigan Ave, turned west at Ohio and walked to Nordstrom.

The first two sales people just made some very generic attempts to help. The third salesperson actually engaged me when I stopped at a pair of shoes that, while lovely, were out of my price range. When I told him I was interested in something similar at a slightly lower price, he showed me about 10 pairs of shoes.

I settled on these beauties. They were not the cheapest. They were not even on sale. But they looked -- and felt -- fabulous.

I also shopped at H&M for the first time. I am pleased to admit that I can actually wear their shirts -- not the slim fit, mind you, but still.

As I was browsing, I began to sense that I am a bit too old and, frankly, not quite gay enough to be in that store. That is, until a musclebound threesome (conservatively) in their 40s strolled past me, toting all sorts of T-shirts and other garments clearly too young for them to wear. It made me feel a little better. But I did pick up a couple of faboo shirts -- and for cheap!! (buy one, get one free on discounted merchandise) -- and I'm very excited to assemble the new look.

1 comment:

John said...

Pictures!!!!