Monday, August 14, 2006

Weekend in the Country

I got back to town yesterday afternoon, having spent the remainder of the weekend in Saugatuck, MI. Saugatuck is a little community on the banks of the Kalamazoo Harbor. Chamber Choir goes there (nearly) every summer to do a short concert on Saturday evening, and then sings at the Douglas United Church of Christ during their Sunday morning service.

Having never been to Saugatuck before, I was a little apprehensive about going there because it is a popular destination for gay men. For better or for worse, that distinction often carries with it a certain image, of sleek clubs nestled in amongst trendy stores with muscled pretty boys walking along the sidewalks casting disdainful glances at anyone who dares walk the streets who isn't toned and young.

I am pleased to admit that I couldn't have had a more inaccurate picture of this community. Indeed I was impressed with the homey feel of the town. It's a quaint little waterfront village that is replete with shops designed to attract tourists with refined tastes. Although there was no lack of gay men and lesbians in the town, most of the people I saw were young or middle-aged married couples who were enjoying tooling around in cute convertibles, an escape from their more hectic workaday lives in the larger towns and cities I imagine they live in when not strolling the sidewalks of Saugatuck.

It's a little late in the season for this year, but I do think I'll keep Saugatuck on my list of potential weekend vacation spots for next summer. I wouldn't mind escaping from the big city myself.

No comments: