Sunday, February 25, 2007

Happy Gay High Holy Day!

I'll be attending an Oscars party tonight because, well, we're pretty much required to (it's in the Gay By-Laws). In all honesty I'm really looking forward to the party because it's a great bunch of people and I think a good time will ensue. One of the de rigeur activities at any Oscars party worth its salt is a pool for predicting the winners. I hold out little chance of winning, since I'm horrible at predicting Oscar winners (Reese Witherspoon?) and I've seen about four movies in the past year, including The Last King of Scotland last night (BTW - underwhelmed).

Here are my picks, both as on my ballot and my "fantasy" picks:

ACTOR - LEADING:
Forest Whitaker is my poll pick because the buzz is totally on him, and for the past few years this category's been pretty predictable. My fantasy? Hard to say since I saw none of the other nominated performances, but I heard great things about Ryan Gosling in Half Nelson

ACTRESS - LEADING:
This category is a bit dicier (again, Reese Witherspoon?), but I'm going with the safe bet of Helen Mirren. I mean, I love Meryl Streep, and hers is the only performance of the five that I actually saw, but come on. The woman won her only leading actress Oscar for Sophie's Choice, despite all the wonderful acting she's done over the years. I doubt Miranda will put her over the top for statuette number two. The darkhorse here is probably Kate Winslet, although I think the best competition for Helen will come from Penelope Cruz.

ACTOR - SUPPORTING:
I picked Eddie Murphy, again going with the safe bet. I would love to see Alan Arkin take it, but frankly I don't think it's gonna happen.

ACTRESS - SUPPORTING:
Have to support the hometown girl and pick Jennifer Hudson. See also the "safe bet" argument above. Loved Abigail Breslin in Little Miss Sunshine, but she's no Tatum O'Neal. (That's a good thing, folks.)

ANIMATED FEATURE:
This one is a real dilemma, because by all accounts at least two of these movies sucked wind, thus I'm going with Monster House because it (supposedly) sucked the least.

ART DIRECTION:
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. Why? I don't know. I'd love to see The Prestige take this one, but I just remember that the last time a PotC movie was up it took a sizeable chunk of these awards.

CINEMATOGRAPHY:
Pan's Labyrinth. This movie has gotten such praise, and everyone that I know who's seen it has raved about it both as a movie and as a piece of visual artistry. I just don't see any of the others taking this award.

COSTUME DESIGN:
When in doubt, I always go for the period piece, so Marie Antoinette it is. I'd love to see The Devil Wears Prada take it, because it would be so campy.

DIRECTING:
The Departed is the heavy fave, so I think I'm gonna go with the word on the street and put my money behind Mr. Scorsese.

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE:
An Inconvenient Truth. My inconvenient truth? I've seen none of these, and this is the pick from the New York Times' Carpetbagger.

FILM EDITING:
I hate to be dismissive, but since I've seen none of these films I really can't make an educated guess. I'm gonna be boring and go with "B", which happens to be Blood Diamond, because I haven't picked a lot of "B"s yet. Hey, it worked for the SAT!

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM:
Pan's Labyrinth: the Times picked The Lives of Others but did heap heavy praise on all the nominees, implying that this is where the true battle for Best Picture lies.

MAKEUP:
Again I'm going period and picking Apocalypto. Perhaps Mel Gibson will arrive sober and carrying his shiny new ADL membership card.

ORIGINAL SCORE:
As a musician, it's so hard for me to pick this winner without having heard any of the nominees. Based on composers, I'd love for Gustavo Santoalla to win for Babel because I just adore his music. For the non-cognoscenti among you, he scored Brokeback Mountain, and won the Oscar last year for Original Score. Sadly, I doubt he'll win back-to-back, so I'm going to go with The Queen because, well . . . moving on . . .

ORIGINAL SONG:
With three songs nominated from Dreamgirls I'm going out on a limb and picking "I Need to Wake Up" from An Inconvenient Truth. I mean, it's Melissa Etheridge and it's a song from a documentary, for Christ's sakes! How off the wall is that? This one, incidentally, I'm pretty sure I'll get totally wrong.

BEST PICTURE:
I saw exactly one of these nominees, and I guarantee it's the one with the longest shot of winning: Little Miss Sunshine. Frankly, as much as I enjoyed it, Best Picture material it really ain't, so I'm again taking the "safe bet" cue and picking The Departed. And if it wins the gold it's supposed to win tonight, I think I am gonna have to put this particular film at the top of my Netflix queue.

SHORT FILM - ANIMATED
Oh, God, who in the Hell cares? I'll pick "C" - The Little Matchgirl.

SHORT FILM - LIVE ACTION
West Bank Story. Does Tony die at the end of this one, too?

SOUND EDITING:
Letters from Iwo Jima: Always pick the war film for techie sound awards.

SOUND MIXING:
Flags of Our Fathers: See above.

VISUAL EFFECTS:
Pirates. For the love of Pete, it's competing against Poseidon and Superman Returns. If either of those wins then I'll go and eat Kryptonite on a sinking cruise ship.

SCREENPLAY - ADAPTED:
I'm going out on a limb here and picking Notes on a Scandal, even though I think that Borat is the fan fave and The Departed is the street pick. What can I say, I'm just a born risk-taker.

SCREENPLAY - ORIGINAL
Little Miss Sunshine had better win this one, because it does deserve to walk away with something for being one of the most well rounded films to come down the pike in a while.

That's it! I'll post an update on Monday and let you know how I did in the pool. But for now, let's roll out the red carpet and let the trash talking begin!

No comments: