Thursday, December 22, 2005

The End of an Era

Walking by the bookstore on campus this evening, I noticed an advertisement for the 11th Edition of Goodman and Gilman's Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics. As someone who holds a PhD in Pharmacology, I am somewhat familiar with this tome (in fact, I have copies of the ninth and tenth editions in my office). What struck me, and made me audibly gasp, was the conspicuous absence of two names from the front cover of the eleventh edition.

For the first time in many years, the Goodman and Gilman's lists neither Joel Hardman nor Lee Limbird as editors. That's sort of like having NFL broadcast on Fox with neither Howie Long nor Terry Bradshaw, or a Wes Anderson flick without Owen and Luke Wilson. It just seems empty somehow, wrong and unsettling.

Time moves on, things change. I wish the new editors much success. I'm sure the newest edition of Goodman and Gilman's is a great reference. But it just won't be the same.

No comments: