Monday, December 26, 2005

Fun with Traveling

I flew to North Carolina yesterday to spend Christmas week with my family. I enjoy traveling on Christmas day, provided I can get a flight out sufficiently early to allow me to spend most of the day with my family. Generally, Christmas day means deserted airports, nearly empty planes and a leisurely travel pace unrivaled during the mad travel week preceding Christmas Day. (Having flown out of O'Hare on Christmas Eve last year, I was damned sure I wasn't going to repeat that fiasco again.)

My travel day started out at 5:15 am, having gone to bed only 4 hours prior due to the lateness of the hour when I returned from midnight mass at church. This was compounded by the after-effects of the copious amounts of champagne and merlot I had been veritably forced to consume by my friend Derek and my priest's partner, Tom. Certainly I would never overimbibe without the intervention of others. I got the animals fed, packed the last few toiletry items I had to use that morning, and left a check for my colleague who was coming to pet-sit. My goal was to walk out the door at 6:30, and I think my watch said 6:33 when I locked the door. So far, so good.

I walked the block and a half to the bus stop and waited on the 6:45 Archer northbound bus. It was snowing, but because the air and ground temperatures were well above freezing thanks to a "warm snap" we'd experienced in the previous two days the snow was very wet and had no hope of sticking. It was therefore what snow should be, lovely and inconsequential. The bus came a couple of minutes early, and in about 10 minutes had deposited me at the southeast corner of Jackson and Dearborn.

I walked north to the entrance into the Jackson St. Blue Line L station and made my way down the stairs with my ginormous suitcase (packed with wrapped gifts and my carry-on bag that held all of the clothes I'd need for a week), my carry-on overnight bag and my Marshall Field's shopping bag. I approached the turnstile and debated the most efficient way to get my suitcase through. After some thought and much heavy lifting, both my person and my luggage made it across the turnstile. I heard the sounds of what I imagined was the 6:52 O'Hare bound train screaming up through the stairwell. I debated taking the elevator down, but decided it would be quicker (though probably more dangerous) to run down the stairs with my ginormous suitcase, overnight bag and Field's shopping bag.

To my great delight, the train I heard was going the opposite way, to either Forest Park or 54th/Cermak (I didn't see which). I waited patiently and, lo and behold, heard the O'Hare train on Christmas morn at precisely 6:51, and when it stopped it was 6:52. It's a beautiful thing when the CTA runs on time.

The ride to the airport was uneventful as people came on and got off of the train over the next approximately 40 minutes. Some people had suitcases, obviously headed to the airport to catch flights to holiday destinations. One guy wore a uniform that suggested to me that he was a steward for one airline or another. The train pulled into the station at 7:36 on the nose, again exactly as scheduled. I gathered my belongings and made my way up to the terminal.

Having never gone from the train station into O'Hare, and given my relative unfamiliarity with O'Hare, I depended on following other people with suitcases to get into the airport and to go where I needed to be. I assumed I would be flying out of Terminal 1 since that's the United terminal at O'Hare. (For those of you who don't know, United is based out of Chicago and O'Hare is its main hub.) I followed the signs for Terminal 1 and arrived at the check-in counters.

There are approximately 35,936 check-in kiosks at O'Hare for United. They are divided into groups like, "Premier," "International," "Plebian" and "Steerage." I walked most of the way down the atrium in front of the kiosks before I found where I was supposed to be. Fortunately the line was not so terribly bad. There was a woman at the head of the line weighing bags (the weight limit for checked items is 50 lbs.) and mine came in right at 45.4. It had weighed 45 on my scale at home, so I wasn't surprised it was under the weight limit, but relieved nonetheless. I checked in uneventfully, though I was surprised that I didn't have to present my checked bag personally to the TSA. I fly a few times a year, but almost never check bags. Previously when checking baggage, I had to hand it to the TSA agent for screening, so this was a change from the procedure to which I was accustomed.

My flight was departing from gate F12. There were no signs that I could see indicating how to find gates in the F family. I asked a United employee, and she directed me to the far end of the atrium, so I walked down to the security line which seemed blessedly short. However, a seemingly nice TSA agent checked my boarding pass and ID well before the checkpoint and suggested to myself and a woman next to me that we should proceed to an employee checkpoint downstairs.

This is where I encountered the Extended Family Who Obviously Have Never Flown on a Big Airplane Before.

The Extended Family Who Obviously Have Never Flown on a Big Airplane Before (henceforth known as EFWOHNFoaBAB) seemed perplexed by the whole security screening process. Grandma #1 seemed confused that there was some process beyond the check-in with the United people. Grandpa #1 (I believe he was married to Grandma #1, hence his designation) debated with the TSA agent over whether or not to take the one key out of his pocket before going through the metal detector. Tweenage girl #1 and Grandma #2 decided they needed to put their suitcases and closed purses into plastic trays before placing them onto the conveyor belt to enter into the X-ray scanner. Everyone was being oh so gracious in insisting that everyone else in the family should go through the metal detector first, it seemed as though they were doing some sort of security square dance.

EFWOHNFoaBAB easily cost me ten minutes of my life, and I want them back, dammit.

Once through security, I walked the seemingly 5 miles to the ass end of the F corridor. Almost invariably at airports I don't like anyway (like Nashville and O'Hare and RDU) I am forced to fly out of the gate that is furthest away from the security checkpoint, so I'm pretty well used to hauling my stuff all the way through the airport. This is why I eventually learned how not to overpack and why nearly everything I take on an airplane has wheels or comfortable shoulder straps.

I found a seat at Gate F12 at approximately 8:15, one full hour before my flight was to depart. I called my mother to give her an update, received a call from my friend Elizabeth and read my Saturday New York Times (I was running a day behind). As the hour approached 8:55, the boarding time for my flight, I became a bit worried because there was no jet with the word "United" painted on it anywhere to be found. This is never a good omen.

Finally at about 9:10 the gate agent came over the PA system and announced that the plane should be at the gate in a few minutes. This is airline lingo for it's going to be another 30 minutes before we know anything. The departure time kept getting pushed back, first to 9:30, then to 9:34.

At 9:20, the gate agent finally 'fessed up that the plane was coming from the hangar. Now, I don't know if the pilot was stuck in the cue line waiting for all of the other planes taxiing to and fro, or simply got lost and refused to stop and ask for directions. Whatever had happened, the plane finally got to the gate at about 9:30, and we began boarding about 10 minutes hence.

The flight was a bit bumpy and there was no coffee, but otherwise it was uneventful. As we touched down at the Greensboro airport, I surveyed the scene outside my window. Compared to the view on the ground when landing at airports like Midway, O'Hare and LaGuardia, the view out my window of the Greensboro airport made it seem as though we were landing in a farm. No buildings around, more grass than asphalt. It was almost creepy. As a kid, I thought the Greensboro airport was huge. Now I realize it's just one step up from airports in places like New Haven, CT and Charlottesville, VA where I swear they use John Deere tractors to haul planes and luggage around the tarmac.

I arrived home safely, and had a lovely afternoon with family and a nice evening out with friends. It was a fantastic Christmas, and I am so thankful for the gifts I received -- not just the ones in the boxes, but especially gifts like seeing my beautiful nieces who keep getting older and more lovely, and catching up with people I've known and loved since adolescence. Today is Boxing Day, and for the ninth straight year I'll be having lunch with two of my best buds from college. I'll hit the after-Xmas sales and just relax. Ahh, the holidays are grand.

Remember that yesterday was just the beginning of Christmas, we have 11 days to go! I hope that you will celebrate the season every day you can. Merry Christmas!

No comments: