Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Happy Anniversary

It was one year ago this very day that I traveled 480 miles in a rather uncomfortable U-Haul truck in excruciatingly cold weather to start my new life in the Windy City. On Dec. 20, 2004 I left Nashville with my stuff, my animals and even my dear mother packed into my car and a 14-foot moving van. We drove through Kentucky and Indiana, along icy roads and through towns that define the term "podunk."

After about nine hours we arrived. As I pulled up in front of my new apartment on the north side of the city, I was excited, terrified, overjoyed and exhausted. There was no turning back now -- I was here, I was queer and I was going to make the best of it in my new environs.

This has been, in many ways, the best year of my life. Living here has been an incredible experience, and I pray it will continue to get better as time goes by.

Happy Anniversary, ya Big-Shouldered Broad of a City! I love ya!

No comments: